Competency Mapping: Organizational Scenario

Audience:
Onsite/Offsite/Onshore account team

Typical Scenario:

Who

What

Why

Client

“We expect the account member to know the bare minimum about…but he did not know about it. We did not want to spend as much time on each new team member”

What was it that the earlier account member knew? What is the performance gap between the two

Client

“The account member does not have the same level of expertise as the account member who earlier handled this project”

I want to be able to meet my client expectations and serve him better. How can I know the skill-set of the previous account member

Project Manager

“I need to immediately train this account member so that my client thinks I have taken action and I can keep him happy. ”

Where can find the skill-set he possesses currently and the level that he is on for each of the skills?

Project Manager

“I need five resources with Java/JSP skill-set for 3 months. Do we have any free resources available for this time? Would I need to recruit/contract resources?”

Who are the people with this skill-set?

Functional Manager

“I need to grow my team. What exact skills should I recruit so that I have a good mix within my team”

Where can I find the skills distribution for my entire team at a high level? Where can I go to identify skills gap in my team?

Team Lead

“I want to be able grow into a Project Manager”

What skills do I need to add to the skills that I currently have?

Team Lead

“I want to be able to consult with my clients effectively”

What skills do I need to add to the skills that I currently have?

Team Member

“I think I am good to be a Team Lead but I am not being recognized as one”

How can I let my Manager where I add value to the team?

Team Member

“I have do not have project work in the coming week, maybe I should take some training”

Would the training help me in reaching my professional goals?


Typical Challenges:
  • Training is primarily need-based and reactive.
  • Focus is on quantitative rather than qualitative training.
  • Training is provided in an haphazard, ad hoc manner.
  • Risk reduction and change readiness are the key drivers for providing training, not business objectives.

Comments

Popular Posts

Best Practices: Using Webex for Online Collaboration

Job Aid for Coaching and Feedback

Competency Development Plan-At a glance

Seat Time for an Elearning Course

Learning Retention

Competency Development Plan-Design